Born: 25th May 1774
Old Cumnock, Ayr, Scotland
Died: 27th May 1855
My Great Grandmother used to own some family heirlooms that were passed down from William Merrie. Among these were his sword, pistol and papers from his time in the military. She gave them to the Scottish United Services Museum where I believe they are on display.
We know he was a member of the The Royal Scots Greys.
In a letter from the Curator of the museum, he gave us the following details that he managed to find on William Merrie.
Merrie was Q.M. in Captain Clarke's troop from 1804, he went on retired pay in August 1810. He is listed in the Army Lists until 1855, and dissappears in 1856. He received retired pay from 1810 to 1855.
In the 1830 Pigot Directory for Romsey there is a William Merry listed as the Head of Romsey Free School, which could possibly be the same person.
Address when he died was Latimer Street, Romsey.
All census records checked
To: Lucy Green
Date: 6th August 1805
Location: Romsey, Hampshire
- Eliza Lucy Merrie - Born: 1806 - York, Yorkshire
- William Purchase Merrie - Born: 1808 - Edinburgh, Scotland
- George James Merrie - Born: 1810 - Dublin, Ireland
- John Merrie - Born: 1812 - Romsey, Hampshire
- Mary Merrie - Born: 1814 - Romsey, Hampshire
- Joseph Merrie - Born: 1817 - Romsey, Hampshire
- Stephen Merrie - Born: 1819 - Romsey, Hampshire
- Martha Merrie - Born: 1822 - Romsey, Hampshire